Foss Daily hosts a few FOSS/Libre services that are free to use. Please take some time to read below before using the services.
I host these services because I myself or someone I know has a need for them. The other reason is I like to be in control of my personal information, hence hosting my own services is the solution. I make these services freely available so people can escape the bounds of Surveillance capitalism.
Foss Daily is supported solely by me. Currently I pay NZD $100/yr for the VPS and NZD $20/yr for the domain name. I consider this well worth it, because of the huge benefit I myself and other people gain from these services.
Foss Daily is part of the librehosters network. Check out the libreho.st website to find other service providers.
Foss Daily utilizes a no-log policy. The only exception to this is xmpp which keeps messages for one week to enable syncing between devices. To be honest; as the only person that has access to my server and its contents, I have no interest in these logs or your information, however please respect the other users of Foss Daily and don't do anything illegal.
Any inactive accounts older than one year will be purged to free up space for new users.
On a final note, its probably a good idea to keep an offline backup of your stuff thats on my server.
- No logging
- DNSSEC validation
- QNAME minimization
- Built in Adblock using StevenBlack unified hosts file (Adware + Malware)
- Hosted in Sydney, Australia with Linode
- DNS over HTTPS (DoH)
- lelux.fi maintains a list of other DNS resolvers.
- Simple webpage that returns your Public IP address.
- Please don't abuse this service, try to cache the IP for a reasonable amount of time before doing another request, so everyone can enjoy using this service.
- LibreSpeed is a free, opensource and decentralized alternative to speedtest.net. You can also run a speedtest from the LibreSpeed project homepage.
- There is a LibreSpeed command line tool that you can download from GitHub, or install from the Arch Linux AUR.
- PrivateBin is a minimalist, open source online pastebin where the server has zero knowledge of pasted data. Data is encrypted/decrypted in the browser using 256 bits AES. More information on the project page.
- There is a PrivateBin command line tool that you can download from GitHub, or install from the Arch Linux AUR.
- RSS-Bridge generates RSS and Atom feeds for websites which don't have one.
- To start using XMPP on Foss Daily; Open your favorite client, enter fossdaily.xyz as the host, come up with a username, generate a strong password, and enjoy!
- The XMPP Clients that I personally recommend are Gajim for Linux and Windows and Conversations for Android.
- Upload file size limit is 10MB. Archived messages and files expire after one week.
PLEASE NOTE: THE SERVICES BELOW WILL BE DISCONTINUED ON 2020-09-01 DUE TO SERVER MIGRATION.
- Nextcloud service will be discontinued on 2020-09-01
- Tiny Tiny RSS service will be discontinued on 2020-09-01
- wallabag service will be discontinued on 2020-09-01